The JUGS 'Lite-Flite' Light Ball Training Machine
The JUGS Lite-Flite Pitching MachineIf you are looking for an affordable great combination of youth softball and youth baseball pitching machine The JUGS Lite-Flite baseball and softball light ball pitching machine is that machine!
The JUGS Lite-Flite Pitching Machine is a simulation pitching machine, which means it does not throw real balls it instead throws a softer ball and simulates speeds from a shorter distance than the standard pitching distance. The JUGS Lite-Flite Machine quick-change design features Switch-and-Play knobs allowing you to switch from baseball to softball in a matter of seconds.
The JUGS Lite-Flite comes with single pitch dialing, Select-A-Pitch, and throws consistent strikes so your player can confidently step into the batters’ box and start swinging.
This machine throws fastballs, curveballs, and sliders simulated from both right-handed and left-handed pitchers. The JUGS Lite-Flite Pitching Machine simulates speeds up to 85 MPH. The JUGS Lite-Flite Machine with its swivel design base casting provides 360-degree movement so it can also be used to help improve fielding by simulating pop-ups, fly balls, and ground balls.
The JUGS Lite-Flite Machine weighs only 35 lbs so it is very portable. This machine is powered by one 1/8 horsepower motor or has an optional portable battery pack. It also has an optional in-line remote switch. This pitching machine also has a feeder compatible with one-person use.
JUGS Lite-Flite Machines are widely used in backyards and can be used indoors from ages youth to college. The JUGS Lite-Flite Practice Machine has a 3-year warranty. For youngsters just starting out in the game, nothing is better than the repetition of fundamental skills. Because the JUGS Lite-Flite Pitching Machine only throws “soft” balls it allows hitters to “dig in” and focus on their fundaments without the fear of being hit by a “hard” ball. It is also an excellent machine for indoor defensive drills, especially for catchers. Blocking and framing drills can now be done in the corner of the gym on a mat with the JUGS Lite-Flite Machine!
How Does Coach Chris Use The Lite-Flite
As I coach baseball in a cold-weather state, I have evolved my indoor practice drills and routines over time to keep practicing no matter what the weather offers. Some of the things I have found effective are to keep drills under 10 minutes and make sure to break the team up into groups of no more than 4. I found this to be work to keep them focused for the hour and a half I have them twice a week. It can be difficult to find drills to do indoors, especially hitting drills if a batting cage is not available. The drills we have always done are soft toss and tee work into a portable hitting net. These are great drills for swing mechanics and we do these every practice. I also feel it is important to start working on timing and so a few years ago purchased the JUGS Lite-Flite Machine for my indoor hitting. This is a great machine when a batting cage does not exist.
For my particular situation, we have a divider down the middle of the gymnasium we can pull to separate a practice. We divide the stations up, setting pitching/catching/defensive work on one side of the divider and hitting on the other side of the divider. We set up a portable hitting net at one end to do our soft toss and tee work and then set the Lite-Flite Machine up at the other side. The Lite-Flite Machine uses a “spongy” type indoor ball that will not cause any damage to your walls (or anyone hit with one!). We usually set the machine approximately 30 feet away. We have groups of four, so two boys will shag the balls, one boy warms up, and one boy hits off the machine. We have them bunt two and then swing away at about 15 pitches. We have found this helps get their timing down pretty quickly. In the second round, they do the machine set for curveballs. We found this is a way for them to see a curveball and not have any fear of getting hit.
Another tip is to try to spend 15 minutes or so doing some type of game or something fun. We play games for the last 15 minutes of every practice using the Lite-Flite Machine. We split the boys up into two teams and have them hit off the machine using the walls to judge if it is a single, double, triple, home run, or an out. The team not hitting is in the field shagging the balls. It goes pretty fast and the kids enjoy the competitive nature of it while getting some extra swings.
What Does Coach Justin Think About The Lite-Flite's Value?
I have been using my JUGS Lite-Flite Machine for just over 3 years and it has helped me run a much more efficient indoor practice. I first incorporated it by having indoor batting practice. Our gym has a net that will split it in half, so I pull the net outset the machine up and have them take 12 swings on fastballs, 12 swings on curveballs, and then have them bunt 12 pitches. I have 3 boys spread out in the gym to shag the balls. I put the machine approximately 25 feet from the hitter in order to avoid the balls from “floating” in. A drawback is if you set the machine too far back the balls will have the appearance of floating in, which is very difficult to hit. The hitters adjust pretty quickly to it being this close and it actually helps with developing quick hands. I now have started using the machine for defensive purposes also. It is very good for teaching catchers to block pitches and also is good for catchers to work on framing pitches. We set the machine in the corner and have the catchers work these drills. It is much more effective as the machine can place the ball right where you want it to versus having a coach do it. We also use it for catchers working on foul balls. We have found it difficult to use outside on windy days, so pretty much limit it to indoor use. In my opinion, it is well worth the approx. $500 investment if you are going to have a lot of indoor practices.
Features Of The JUGS Lite-Flite Pitching Machine
- Max Speed: Simulated 85 MPH
- Ball Type: Lite-Flite balls or JUGS Bulldog balls only
- Pitches Thrown: Fastballs, Curveballs, Sliders
- Defensive Drills: Groundballs, Pop-Ups, and Line Drives
- Warranty: 3 Year
- Weight: 35 lbs
- Power Source: 110 volt AC or 1000 watt battery pack required to operate
- Recommended ages 8-Adult
- 360-degree swivel
- Use indoors or outside
- (1) 1/8 horsepower motor, 1.3 amps
- Made in the USA
- Great training aid for Baseball or Softball
- Free carrying bags included!
The 'Lite-Flite' Sting-Free Practice Balls By JUGS SportsThese are the safest practice balls ever made. Players see a realistic throw or pitch but do not get stung by the ball if it bounces off their arms or body. Designed to provide maximum consistency out of your JUGS Lite-Flite Machine, they are also great for non-machine drills and practice applications.
Features Of The JUGS Lite-Flite Practice Balls
- Available as a baseball-sized, 11" softball-sized, or 12" softball-sized practice ball
- Sold by the dozen and by the bucket (18 Baseballs or 12 Softballs).
- Throws true, even at regulation pitching distances.
- Designed specifically to be used in the JUGS Lite-Flite Machine.
- Keep their original shape coming out of the pitching machine, regardless of speed.
- Ideal for offensive and defensive drills.
- Safe for indoor hitting without a batting cage.
JUGS Lite-Flite Automatic Ball FeedersThese feeders are durable, lightweight, and portable. They attach directly to the pad bracket without any tools, and only one power source is needed. The JUGS Lite-Flite Feeders are designed for use with Lite-Flite baseballs and softballs.
JUGS 18-Ball Baseball Lite-Flite Feeder Features:
- For Baseball
- Holds 18 Baseballs
- Delivers a ball every 6 seconds
- No tools required
JUGS 14-Ball Softball Lite-Flite Feeder Features:
- For Softball
- Holds 14 Softballs
- Delivers a ball every 6 seconds
- No tools required
JUGS Rechargeable Battery PackThe rechargeable battery pack will give you the mobility to use your JUGS Lite-Flite Machine or JUGS Small Ball Machine anywhere you want to practice.
Features Of The Battery Pack
- Self-contained in a heavy-duty nylon carrying case.
- The Rechargeable Battery Pack weighs only 17 lbs. and recharges in just two hours!
- Contains a 32" extension cord.
JUGS Lite-Flite ScreenThe JUGS Standard Lite-Flite/Slowpitch Screen is designed specifically for youth leagues and backyards.
Features Of The JUGS Standard Lite-Flite Screen:
- 6.5' H x 4' W Screen
- 1-Year Guarantee on netting and frame
- Quick-Snap connectors for fast and easy assembly
- Perfect protective screen for use with JUGS Lite-Flite or Small-Ball pitching machines
- Black, double-thick 45 ply, Dacron poly-E netting
- 1.5-inch diameter, 1.2mm thick, 1020 cold-rolled steel frame tubing
- Easily assembled - No Welding. All joints are bolted for strength and longevity.
What Does "Simulated Speed" Mean?The Lite-Flite is capable of simulated speeds up to 85MPH...but what does that actually mean?
The speed of a pitching machine most often refers to the reaction time of a pitch at a given distance from the mound to home plate compared to the reaction time of a pitch the regulation distance (High School, College, and Pro).
In other words, the speed of the pitch does not change, but the distance of the machine from the batter can make a 60 mph pitch at 40 ft feel like a 90 mph pitch from 60.5 ft.
When considering a machine, sometimes a lower top-end pitch speed also equates to a lower investment in a machine. Simulated speed is important to consider when comparing pitching at different levels of play, but moving the machine closer to the batter may be a potential solution if budget is a concern.
Comparing Ball Speeds from Little League 46′ to Regulation 60.5′
- At 46', If The Actual Speed Of The Pitch Is 45MPH, It Will Simulate Speeds Of A Pitch Thrown At Approximately 59MPH
- At 46', If The Actual Speed Of The Pitch Is 50MPH, It Will Simulate Speeds Of A Pitch Thrown At Approximately 66MPH
- At 46', If The Actual Speed Of The Pitch Is 55MPH, It Will Simulate Speeds Of A Pitch Thrown At Approximately 72MPH
- At 46', If The Actual Speed Of The Pitch Is 60MPH, It Will Simulate Speeds Of A Pitch Thrown At Approximately 79MPH
- At 46', If The Actual Speed Of The Pitch Is 65MPH, It Will Simulate Speeds Of A Pitch Thrown At Approximately 85MPH
- At 46', If The Actual Speed Of The Pitch Is 70MPH, It Will Simulate Speeds Of A Pitch Thrown At Approximately 92MPH
- At 46', If The Actual Speed Of The Pitch Is 75MPH, It Will Simulate Speeds Of A Pitch Thrown At Approximately 99MPH!